9.10.2012

Sour Cream Enchilada Casserole

There are many dishes that remind me of my childhood. Y'know, the ones that give you that warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feeling...the ones that put a smile on your face as they warm your soul. This is one of those dishes. My momma made this dish for me growing up, and now my own daughter is requests it often. I've seen many recipes floating around out there for sour cream enchiladas over the years, but this dish is different. The biggest (and in my opinion best) thing that sets this dish apart from "regular" sour cream enchiladas is the way they're prepared. See, I love to cook, bake, craft, you name it...but when I'm done it looks like a tornado has come through the room. I'm clumsy, dropsy and my mother often tells me she should have named me Grace (probably because I have none). Do you see where this is going? That's right, rolling a bunch of enchiladas isn't exactly my idea of easy or fun. It's just not my cup of tea to spend all that time filling each tortilla with the exact same amount of filling, rolling each one in the same direction with the same amount of tension and lying them side by side, making sure they all fit in the pan like puzzle pieces so there is equal distance between each one (a messy perfectionist....does it get any more dysfunctional than that?)...and then you take them out of the pan just to have them fall apart on their way to the plate. *sigh* Talk about stressful! Anyway, I take the easy way out, and I think they turn out better than traditional enchiladas - I just layer it, kinda like a lasagna. Sauce, tortillas, meat, sauce, tortillas, meat..always in that order. ;) No matter how you choose to lay it out, it's sure to be a a dish you come back to time after time. So without further ado...



What you'll need:
1 pound ground beef
8 burrito size flour tortillas
1 packet of taco seasoning, or homemade taco seasoning
1 small onion
8 oz. sour cream
1 small can green chiles (undrained)
1 small can sliced black olives (drained)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2-2 cups cheddar cheese

Preparation:
In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion - drain if needed. Add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Set meat aside. In a medium sauce pan, add sour cream, green chiles, creamed soups and 1/2 cup cheese, melting just until thinned and warm. Evenly cover bottom of a greased 9x12 casserole dish with a thin layer of sauce. Tear four tortillas into quarters. Lay tortilla pieces in bottom of pan, covering all surface area. Evenly spoon half of the taco meat onto the tortilla layer. Pour half of the sauce mixture on top of meat, spreading out evenly. Repeat each layer, beginning with tortillas and ending with sauce. Top with remaining shredded cheddar cheese and black olives. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until enchiladas are bubbly and cheese is melted and golden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment